Monday, August 20, 2012

Tapping my creative side

via dailyexhaust.com
In the past few years I've been playing around with making photo slideshows.  I made my first one about 4-5 years ago when one of my roommates graduated law school and was moving out.  It was a tribute video to the years that the three of us lived together made with photos capturing the various memories we had made.  It brought her to tears, which is always a fun thing to do :)

After making this I found that I wanted to make more but I didn't have any reason for it.  No significant events occurring so I put it on the back burner and my creative candle started to flicker out a little bit. 

In 2010, my dad showed me a couple songs by a musician he had been talking to and he (my dad) really wanted to use these pieces for the upcoming annual DoD (Dept. of Defense) Navy and Marine conference for all firefighters.  This conference is held once a year and firemen from all over gather for a week of, conference stuff hahaha My dad asked me to make 2 slideshows, one to be shown at the finale dinner for the Navy and Marine group and one to be shown at the finale dinner for all the groups.  

These two videos were so much fun to make because I hold a special place in my heart for the firefighting men and women because my dad is a firefighter and this profession is a significant part of my childhood.  And also, I absolutely LOVED the music and the lyrics.  My father said that people at the conference absolutely loved what I had done and I received two standing ovations (YAY ME!). 
Here they are:
http://youtu.be/TWOrOiSGGdE    "This One's for the Firefighters"  shown to all groups
http://youtu.be/aHcUpiWpT0I        "The Storm"    shown to Navy and Marine Corps.



A couple months ago I was approached again to make a video for a couple who were both celebrating their 60th birthday.  Ironically I will be a bridesmaid in their youngest son's wedding so of course I was beyond honored making this for them.  I mean their lives and love for each other brought my best friend her prince charming so yeah, I had some emotional investment in this one :)  
http://youtu.be/YOkbxtpIx_0


Now I recognize that my work is quite amateur, which I don't mind b/c I feel it gives it a personal flair but I am currently researching programs that I can use to expand myself and become more "professional."    My sister mentioned out how I should outreach to local businesses who do this kind of work and see if maybe occasionally I can free lance for them or somethign along those lines.  I have to admit, if THIS were my job, I would LOVE it!!! I'm just not sure where I should look exactly.  Hmm, something to think about!!
Currently I am making a piece that I hold VERY close to my heart!  My best friend asked me to make one for the rehearsal dinner prior to her wedding this November.  I have to admit that just gathering the photographs for this one tugged at the old heart strings (I AM SUCH A SAP!).  I am beyond thrilled to make this one and I admit I feel like this has to be my master piece, but what I love about creating these is that you can't go wrong and it gives my mind time to just...breathe :)   Is it possible that I could turn this into something more than a hobby?  I wonder!

3 comments:

  1. You should've included the link to the one you made for B and I too before. It was really sweet. Oh, and I agree with Liz. Never hurts to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Honey, just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award. I really enjoy your blog and truly believe you deliver great substance.

    Check it out at
    http://lapisllamas.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    Keep up the great work.

    Cassandra
    lapisllamas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww thank you :) :) I will work on the "response" when I'm at home tonight, although I don't read 15 blogs, something to work on :)

    I'm just touched someone besides my best friend actually reads what I have to say :) Of course I use this as a means of venting and getting stuff out of my head and also sharing fun stuff I do :)

    ReplyDelete